Saturday, May 3, 2008

Have you seen my motivation?


Have you seen my motivation?

It was last seen a few months ago cozying up beside me and now even the footprints of it have disappeared as well. It was a fairly constant companion, a delightful being sticking with me all my life; I felt it to be a part of me, like the mole I have on my right cheek. It had always helped me sort out the issues in times of duress, in traffic, distress, loneliness, cashlessness, and the endless disasters that had overtaken my listless being, and lately it was also prominently there when the lice-pickers at Mount Road handed me the red card and out I went from the field. Out I came from the field laughing at the absurdity of it all with Mr. Motivation being there right beside me.

It had actually been a while since the fella has been away and I have been missing him very badly lately, some say he most surely must be around me and must’ve hidden some place where I can’t see him. I guess so, so I hunted for him in the job I am doing right now, in the endless inspiring stories I hear daily in the news, on the net, in the movies, on the streets, in the eyes of the poor kid smiling at the crossroads, in Paulo Coelho, Rakhi Sawant, Paris Hilton, Hillary Clinton! Do they have my motivation; have they stolen it from me? Or did it just abandon me because I wasn’t taking good care of him? I thought he must’ve changed his costume and must be hovering around me in disguise, playing the eternal cat and mouse game.

A mad hunt ensued and I searched for him all over and the whole process left me a little tired frankly, may be I shouldn’t searching for him after all, let the fella come to me if he needs me, why in the world would I waste my time and effort in search of someone who is wanting to stay away from me, I ain’t the desperate kind. And so time flew as the days turned into weeks and weeks into months without the familiar companion being there with me. All along this period, it had been a miserable ride without that fella and though I didn’t notice that the reason for my wretched being was his absence, it had affected me like never before, but as they say life goes on and it did eventually go on.

Finally, the hunt was terminated, search lights shut off and thrown away, and the thought given a long vacation that I would find someone called Motivation. Eventually, one nondescript afternoon, I did feel him fleetingly at the mosque during the Friday prayers. It wasn’t trying to hide, it wasn’t even bothered with my presence there, it was just busy doin its stuff, you know the thing motivation usually does.

It took time off from its busy schedule that day to say hi and chatted up a little with me. It behaved as though nothing had happened, as though things were always the same as they were now. It then whispered to me that it hadn’t run away from me after all, it left because it felt a little unused, underrated, you know like the pop stars who feel neglected if they aren’t pampered a bit. It was jus that I hadn’t maintained an atmosphere conducive for it to inhabit along with me. Motivation also mentioned to me that he is just waiting for me to make it feel wanted and though it wouldn’t rush right back to live with me again, it would definitely keep visiting me once in a while provided I fully comprehend and understand what motivation really meant. It also did remind me of the days that we were together taking the negativity goons head-on, living life to the fullest with no care in the world, and the time when all that I needed from life was the chirping of the birds in my ear, the cool breeze, soothing like the sun on a flower at the first lights of dawn. Shaken a bit on being reminded bout my not-so-recent past, I did get a bit nostalgic and before I could hug it out of sheer happiness, it said it had to go; a lot of other people were looking for it earnestly. It gradually disappeared in the maze of white skull caps leaving me all high and dry.

Now, ever since that encounter, I have been trying hard to implement all the changes Mr. Motivation asked me to in my life and though I am sure it wouldn’t return back sooner, I was happy that I was making an effort to create an atmosphere conducive for my rock star to return.

No comments: